Thursday, August 20, 2009

Starfish and the Spider - Book Review

The book is "The Starfish and the Spider" by Ori Brafman and Rod A Beckstrom.

I give this book 3 1/2 out of four stars. Fantastic book, with just a little bit missing.

As a pastor, I truly loved this book. though it was not geared toward ministry per se, it presents a great anthropological look at the systems of business that help form groups within the church. I particularly enjoyed the illustrations that helped form this book, though at times I believe the authors overused them. The shining quality of this book is its ability to make you reconsider what you know. It is obvious that "starfish" systems are ruling supreme in the business world, but it is great to have a well studied book to help see HOW they are doing that.

The one aspect that I felt was lacking about this book was in its practical application. The book was focused more on ideology then helping me discover how to use the ideals.

All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to stay on top of the culture. Very enjoyable and, at times, very comical.